Keeping the air clean and safe whilst providing warmth
Fireplaces have been a part of the home since man brought fire in to cook food. Over the centuries, fireplaces have evolved from holes in the center of the floor into wall fixtures that add style to entire rooms, and warmth to entire families.
One of the most recent innovations in the fireplace evolution is the balanced flue fireplace, a fireplace that doesn’t require the use of a chimney to exhaust the smoke created by fires – wood and gas.
What is a balanced flue fireplace?
A balanced flue fireplace is a (closed combustion) heat-circulating fireplace. Instead of using the air in the room to aide in combustion, it receives outside combustion air through the chimney system. This unique system results in much higher efficiency which is becoming increasingly important to home owners. While they are high efficiency, they should not be used as the main source of heat in the home.
Who should install balanced flue fireplaces?
Balanced flue fireplaces should always be installed by an authorized installer, someone who knows what they are doing and can install the fireplace and its systems while maintaining safety in the home.
Are they safe?
Balanced flue fireplaces are extremely safe when operated properly, and when precautions are taken insure operating safety.
What precautions should be taken with balanced flue fireplaces?
First and foremost, the fireplace must be vented to the outside of the home. Also, take the following precautions:
• Do not block or modify air inlets/outlets in any way.
• Do not install combustible materials anywhere surrounding the fireplace.
• Burn only solid wood fuel or gas logs.
• Do not install a solid fuel burning insert or other products not specified for use with your specific model of fireplace.
• Do not locate fireplace in an area where drafts occur.
• When installing a gas burning fireplace, install the gas line before installing the fireplace.
If the proper precautions are taken, you can enjoy the warmth and the beauty of your balanced flue fireplace in safety.